Saturday, September 25, 2010

Pretty Words

I love words — especially words that sound pretty, or musical, when spoken. For example, the word fleur de lis, sounds as elegant as the graceful images it brings to mind ...

And the word verandah, with an "h," as in, "Let's have tea on the verandah."

Doesn't that sound more gracious than having tea on the porch?

And with our tea, we could have some Petit Fours, another word I like, probably because I LUV Petit Fours.

Here are a few more of my favorite words and the images they bring to mind when I hear them:

Lanterns

Wildflowers

Ruffles

The word "ruffles" also makes me think of "Ruffles and Flourishes," which I've always heard of but never really knew what it meant until I looked it up on Google. Ruffles and flourishes refers to the fanfare that precedes ceremonial music for distinguished people. Ruffles are played on drums, and flourishes are played on bugles. Four ruffles and flourishes is the highest honor, and the President of the United States receives four before "Hail to the Chief."

Picket Fence

Carriage

Candlelight

Lily

Serendipity

Doesn't serendipity sound like a happy word! It means, "a propensity for making fortunate discoveries while looking for something unrelated," and I experience it often.

Here are some more of my favorite "pretty words" and expressions:

Serenity
Classic
Twilight
Cottage
Sunlight
Heavenly
Gracious
A Gracious Plenty
Splendor
Glory
Blessings
Grace
Levee
Gatherings
Hearth
Dixie
Garden
April Showers
May Flowers
Bliss
Southern
Thee and Thou
Cross
Lagniappe
Ivy
Mississippi
Petite
Delicate
Hawaii
Amazing Grace
Chandeliers
Lullaby
French Country
Sweet Spirits
Liberty
Semper Fi
Gallery
On Gossamer Wings
Grandmama (music to my ears, when spoken by my granddaughter Avery Grace)

I could go on and on, but would love for you to share some of your favorite words and expressions.

8 comments:

Deb said...

great words....you always come up with such great posts...

Carolyn said...

Wippoorwill, sweetheart, honeysuckle, misty morn, mourning dove....just a few....love our words.
Carolyn

RachelD said...

Janie, I think this is one of your most charmingly meaningful posts ever. Just the sounds of the words---you know words are my moonstones, my milestones, my steppingstones in life---the sounds are blessings as they fall into the air.

And reading that list---for some strange reason, as my eyes scanned down the list, one at a time, the tears started to come, as if I were reading a paragraph of some great reunion or sweet triumph in a beautifully-crafted book.

This is an awesome task, this putting together of words, and yours are perfect and wonderfully chosen.

Thank you, as always.

Loui♥ said...

My most favorite word of all..
was ma-ma,
then mommy,
then mom (with voice changing)
And then short lived Ma..
and finally now..
Hi Mom!
any words spoken by my precious grown up son!
warm sandy hugs..
Loui♥

Jenni said...

Thanks for another awesome post! Yours are always such fun!

Here are some of my faves:
Harvest Moon
Halleluia
Beloved
French Lace
Tapestery
Snowy Woods
Melody
the deep South
Texas Hill Country

and the most beautiful of all, in any language:
Jesus

Tonja said...

Serendipity
Southern Belle
Beloved
Home
Family
Create
My Friend
Maui
Queen
Peaceful
Gathering Together
Baby Cakes
Sunshine

Southern Lady said...

Thank you, Ladies, for sharing some of your favorite words. I'd like to add these to my list:

Chapter
Rice
Lamp Post
Parchment
Gallery
Ballet
Rosebuds

Anonymous said...

beauty
delight
sunshine
ocean
breeze
sweet
pretty
lover
breath
life
kiss