Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Perfect Fall Day

Although the official "First Day of Fall" was last week, we had our first real Fall day in Mississippi yesterday, with an early morning temperature of 59 degrees, and afternoon temperatures in the 70s. It was a glorious afternoon, and my husband and I decided to celebrate Fall's arrival by driving out to our land, which is about an hour and fifteen minutes (one way) from Vicksburg. It was well worth the drive.

We have five and a half acres on a lake near Canton, Mississippi (about 25 miles north of Jackson). The brilliant blue sky was reflected in the lake, and "the trees were alive with the sound of wind" moving through them. That reminds me of the first line of "The Sound of Music" (The hills are alive, with the sound of music), and that's the only way to describe it — it was magical.

Of course, I had my camera with me and here are a few of the scenes that caught my eye.

I loved the tall grasses swaying in the breeze on the lake bank ...

I spotted this bottle in the lake and wondered if it had a message in it, or if it was some priceless relic that had been unearthed when they made the lake.

Upon fishing it out with a long stick, it turned out to be an old beer bottle covered with algae, but it was fun imagining for a little while, anyway.

I took this picture of minnows to show our granddaughter Avery Grace.

She loves exploring around the edges of the lake with my dad, and I wouldn't take anything for this picture I captured of them Labor Day weekend. Talk about priceless!

This next picture will be featured in an upcoming post, and I hope you will join me to hear the story about it.

I love seeing all the interesting seed pods that are everywhere this time of year, and this plant caught my eye. I'm not sure what it is, but isn't it pretty!

I hope to capture it when all those little buds open.

I hope you are enjoying Fall as much as we enjoyed our time at the lake yesterday. I'm looking forward to many more days like that one.

8 comments:

RachelD said...

What a perfect outing for such a day!

The pictures of the lake are just so enchanting---especially the whitened limbs bursting from the water---they look like graceful fountains in the Fall air.

And I WANT so badly for that little cluster of buds to be Joe Pye weed---I'd just read some lovely lines about it from another blogger, and had to look it up to see the pictures. Not quite the same, leaf or bud.

You're going to love living there.

Unknown said...

Beautiful property and pictures! I love the picture of Avery Grace and your dad!

I look forward to seeing more of this piece of property!

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm glad you fished the bottle out of the water or I'd be wondering forever! ;-D

XO,
Janie

Tonja said...

We are having day like that today. I spent time outside today...Finn and I. But, I MUST teach him to stay our from under my feet!!!
Loved the pictures...I can almost smell the air and feel the sun. I didn't realize you were moving so near Canton. That is such a beautiful area!
Love the pic of very and Grandpa.

nancygrayce said...

You certainly have some beautiful property! I love all the pictures! Especially your granddaughter with your dad.

Unknown said...

Wouldn't it have been neat to find an old love letter in the bottle? Oh well, it was fun to imagine - glad you checked. :) I love seeing old trees in water, not sure why, just love it.

nanny said...

Beautiful pictures....
The picture of your dad and avery is just .....well I can't put it into words.....very special!!!

Deb said...

love the photo of Avery with your Dad...that is priceless...looks like a fun relaxing day...