Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Ladies of the Park

One of my favorite places to visit in Vicksburg is the Vicksburg National Military Park, which commemorates the campaign, siege, and defense of Vicksburg during the War Between the States. It is truly one of Mississippi's greatest historical treasures, and I have spent many memorable hours there photographing its beautiful monuments and awe-inspiring landscapes.

Today, I'd like to present "The Ladies of the Park," which are the state monuments that feature magnificent sculptures of women (you can click on the pictures to enlarge them if you'd like to see the amazing details up close).

The first monument I would like to share is the Mississippi State Memorial.

Gracing the monument's front is a bronze statue portraying Kleio, Muse of History, who is holding an open scroll on her lap.

The Mississippi Memorial is constructed of Mount Airy, North Carolina granite, and was erected at a cost of $32,000. Standing 76 feet high, the bronze work was fabricated in Rome, Italy, by renown sculptor Frederick Triebel. The bronze work represents various actions of the Mississippi troops during the Siege of Vicksburg.

My next stop was at the impressive Missouri State Memorial.

The 42-foot monument features a bronze angel which represents "The Spirit of the Republic." The sculptor was Victor S. Holm.

The memorial was erected at a cost of $40,000, and it is unique in that it is the only state memorial on the battlefield dedicated to soldiers of both armies. The height is symbolic of the forty-two Missouri units -- 27 Union and 15 Confederate. It stands where two opposing Missouri regiments clashed in battle, which I find fascinating.

The next elegant "Lady of the Park" is found at the Michigan State Memorial, and she signifies "the Spirit of Michigan." The sculptor was Herbert Adams, and the 37-foot monument is made of White Bethel Granite.


I've saved my favorite lady for last. She can be found at the Minnesota State Memorial, and represents the "Statue of Peace." She is holding a sword and shield from both armies who placed their weapons in her keeping.

The ninety-foot vertical column is made of Mount Airy, North Carolina granite, and was erected at a cost of $24,000. The sculptor of this magnificent statue was William Couper.

I can only imagine the visions and God-given talent that went into capturing forever in stone these beautiful "Ladies of the Park."

I never tire of exploring the Vicksburg National Military Park, and I always discover something interesting that I haven't noticed on previous visits.

If you would like to see some of the other pictures I've captured of the park, you can view the slide show presentation below. I created it in 2009, and it includes several detailed photos of the monuments. The music accompanying the slideshow is "A Call to Arms," which I think serves as a dramatic background for the photos.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow

5 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Janie your work is just beautiful, but not only is the shots great the history behind them and the other details just make them come alive.
Thanks for sharing. I so want to make a picture taking trip to the park one day.
Molly

Deb said...

beautiful ladies..I always learn something when I stop by to visit you...

bj said...

G'mornin', Janie girl...so glad to see you this morning.
I really enjoyed your tour of this lovely park. Your photos, as always, are fantastic. Thanks so much.

Tonja said...

They are all beautiful! I think my favorite is the Spirit of Michigan. Isn't she striking? She looks so confident and purposeful. I imgine tht if she had a job to do, she would get it done! Such detail. These are such talented artists. The detail and the expressions. Amazing!

RachelD said...

Janie,

I don't know when one of your beautiful photo essays has had such meaning for me---those women of the wars, with their fathomless eyes and determined chins, their souls bare on their faces.

Your capture of these deserves a framing of each and every one---they are almost black-and-white photos, anyway, and they are just classically beautiful.

We visited there only once, with a group, and I'm sorry that we were probably too busy running down hills and climbing that stone tower to take in all the poignant loveliness of the place. And now you've given it to me, all this lifetime later.