Thursday, August 26, 2010

When the Spider Lilies Bloom in Dixie

When the Spider Lilies bloom in Dixie, you know Fall is truly on its way! They seem to appear magically overnight and out of nowhere. Here in Mississippi, you see them everywhere ... their tall leafless stems and brilliant red clusters of flowers swaying in a breeze, standing tall in flower beds, along roadsides, and scattered around long-abandoned old home sites.

I haven't noticed any Spider Lilies blooming here yet, but they should make an appearance in the next few days. In the meantime, I'd like to share some I captured with my camera last Fall.

I hope to capture some of the lilies in Vicksburg soon, perhaps next week. I took this picture in September of 2008, in the Vicksburg National Military Park, and I want to go back and focus on the flowers, instead of the brick wall.

I hope they come up again this year.

8 comments:

Janie said...

Those are so lovely. We are having a cool day with fall in the air here in hot dry Texas. Interesting note - out here they are called "naked ladies" since they show no greenry. Actually,to be honest with our drawls, we say "necked" ladies. Thanks for a little lagniappe to start my day.

RachelD said...

Some of my very favorites, and I've missed them---their spindly stems and almost gawky petals are such a part of a Southern garden that it's really odd to see only golden trumpets (albeit beautiful and plenteous).

I used to watch when the bees were lighting on those long whiskers---it seemed that they should break in their fragility from the weight of that fat bee, but somehow they have a strength beyond their appearance.

Thank you for sharing! I'd almost forgotten them.

Loui♥ said...

J~
I've lived many places in the South..
and always, the Spider lilies pop up around September..
I love these gorgeous beauties..
you've captured them so well in your photos!!
warmed sandy hugs..
Loui♥

Tonja said...

Yes, yes, yes! That's them! I've been debating just what these were called. My Granny gave me some years ago and I planted them and they grew for a few years and then I noticed they didn't anymore. Don't know why. But, now I know, I am going to go and buy some and plant them...well, when it's the right time! I think they are so pretty...all spindly and spiky!
Thanks, friend!

Carolyn said...

My heart skipped a beat when I saw your header with the Spider Lilies and I thought you already had them blooming! Beautiful pictures! I love how they just pop up in seemingly random abandon. The weather actually feels cooler today, mostly because the humidity is lower and there is a breeze, but for whatever reason, I am loving it.
Carolyn

Beth at Aunties said...

This is the first year I had ever seen them and feel in love with their delicate spears.
Down town Salt Lake in June they were blooming...I should post a picture soon. Loved yours:)~♥

Jenni said...

Ooooh! Pretty! and I love the different layers of textures in that top Photo. The grayish bark on the tree, the melded greens of the leaves, and the orangy - red lilies that have such starkly defined curves...

thanks for the scrumptious "eye candy" -- Jenni

Unknown said...

I don't think I've ever seen those before. Very pretty! I love the organized chaos of them!