Friday, March 1, 2013

The Colors of Spring

{ Post No. 1050 }

I spent a very pleasant afternoon one day last week strolling the grounds and gardens of one of my most favorite places in Vicksburg -- the Old Court House Museum.


The above picture was taken when the dogwoods were blooming last Spring, but it's a little early for them to be blooming now.  However, the colors and signs of Spring were scattered everywhere, in spite of the recent heavy rains and cold winds we've been having in Vicksburg.   

Forsythia, Quince, and Narcissus were blooming ...


And, although the mauve irises looked rather downtrodden after a rain shower the night before ...

I managed to find a lovely bloom that withstood the wind and rain, as if it was just waiting for me to come along and capture it in all its glory before it, too, faded ...


And glorious, it was!



 Not to be outdone, the color purple was royally represented by this beautiful purple iris ...

Do you remember when Crayola had a crayon called "Spring Green?"  That's what came to mind when I spotted this bicycle leaning against the building ...


It's still a little early for the roses in the rose garden to bloom, but I came across a couple of lovely "early bloomers" ...





This forlorn-looking little hydrangea bush was tucked amongst the Camellias, its faded blooms patiently waiting to be replaced with this season's bright pink or blue blossoms.  If you look closely, by clicking on the picture, you can see tiny leaf buds popping out.  I'd love to go back in June to find out if it is a "boy or girl" hydrangea.


I loved rambling around the grounds of the Court House, and look forward to going back in a couple of weeks to capture the Azaleas and Dogwoods in bloom.  

In the meantime, I hope you will join me next time as I take you through the Crape Myrtle arch shown in the picture below,  and down the brick path to explore a very special memorial resting underneath the branches of that old oak tree in the distance.  

5 comments:

Richard Cottrell said...

You are getting closer than we are. We had jonquils peeking up and now they have 10 inches of snow atop them. I hope they make it. they are a favorite. Love visitng Vicksburg with you, want to come in person someday. Richard at My Old Historic House.

Beth said...

Such beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing spring in Mississippi with me! I live in TX but have deep roots in MS - wish I was there!

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Now that arch is something else, tho I bet it is p[retty when in bloom. I will have to visit this spot when I come thru in a couple of weeks.

Pat said...

Hi Janie,

I have thought and thought about your exquisite Lotus lake blossoms and shared the beauty of them with my husband. He loved them too.

Now, you again take my breath away with these beautiful photos, especially of the purple and pink irises.

You even made that sleeping little hydrangea look pretty.

You are so-o-o talented.

Pat in Tallahassee

RachelD said...

So lovely and welcome!! Your capture of depth and colour is uncanny and doesn't the narcissus look worthy of narcissing---so beautiful.

Chris brought home a big potful of something tonight, but it doesn't have one of those tag thingies sticking in the soil. SO, by the tight-fisted little buds ar the top of these sturdy foot-tall stems, I'm betting on the BIG ole jonquils of our raisin'.

The ones that a guest brought to Chris' party were a tiny version of this, and they bloomed out overnight that first night. And grew to nearly two feet before the wither. Must be this sunshine bulb over the breakfast table.

Makes me happy, too, so there's that.

love and

rachel