Thursday, July 3, 2008

"I Am the Flag of the United States of America"

I am the flag of the United States of America.

My name is Old Glory.
I fly atop the world's tallest buildings.
I stand watch in America's halls of justice.
I fly majestically over institutions of learning.
I stand guard with power in the world.
Look up and see me.

I stand for peace, honor, truth and justice.
I stand for freedom.
I am confident.
I am arrogant.
I am proud.

When I am flown with my fellow banners,
My head is a little higher,
My colors a little truer.
I bow to no one!

I am recognized all over the world.
I am worshipped - I am saluted.
I am loved - I am revered.
I am respected - and I am feared.

I have fought in every battle of every war for more than 200 years.

I was flown at Valley Forge, Gettysburg, Shiloh, and Appomattox. I was there at San Juan Hill, the trenches of France, in the Argonne Forest, Anzio, Rome, and the beaches of Normandy.

Guam, Okinawa, Korea and KheSan, Saigon, Vietnam know me. I'm presently in the mountains of Afganistan and the hot and dusty deserts of Iraq, and wherever freedom is needed.

I led my troops. I was dirty, battleworn, and tired, but my soldiers cheered me and I was proud.

I have been burned, torn, and trampled on the streets of countries I have helped set free. It does not hurt, for I am invincible.

I have been burned, torn, and trampled in the streets of my country, and when it's done by those whom I've served in battle - it hurts. But I shall overcome - for I am strong.

I have slipped the bonds of Earth and stood watch over the uncharted frontiers of space from my vantage point on the moon.

I have borne silent witness to all of America's finest hours. But my finest hours come when I am torn into strips and used as bandages for my wounded comrades on the battlefield, when I am flown at half-mast to honor my soldiers, or when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving parent at the grave of their fallen son or daughter ...


I am proud.
My name is Old Glory.

Dear God ... Long May I Wave!

[Author unknown]

Photos of Thomas Kinkade's prints borrowed from the internet

1 comment:

Jon said...

I love visiting your sharp blog with great photos and text in your posts. In fact I am adding your site to my blogroll favorites today if you don't mind. Your patriotic post about the flag and the 4th was extra nice. I posted one also on my blog
Mississippi Garden at http://mississippgarden.blogspot.com

Best regards, Jon in Vicksburg, MS