Monday, July 7, 2008

The Monuments of Cedar Hill ...

My previous post, "In the Arms of the Angels," was a photo journal of my visit to Cedar Hill Cemetery in Vicksburg, Mississippi, featuring beautiful old stone memorials to children. Now, I'd like to share with you the remainder of the pictures I took that day.

I was so excited when I discovered this exquisite little "Piano Monument."


It even has an inlaid porcelain picture of "Estelle," who was born November 5, 1889, and died January 25, 1911, at the age of 21.


Wasn't she beautiful!
The inscription below the keys reads: "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." [Matthew 5:8]

Legend has it that if children come to the cemetery at midnight and touch the piano keys, they will play.

Here's another pretty lady ...

This is a memorial to a man who was born in Italy February 9, 1843, and died on November 20, 1904, at the age of 61 ...

I love the inscription:

This graceful angel marks the grave of "Addie," who was born in 1873 and died in 1900, at the age of 27 ...

These markers are in a family plot ...

I love the way this one is poised on the steps and the way her robes drape ...

This is one of my favorites. There is such an expression of sadness on this beautiful lady's face, you can almost imagine a tear running down her cheek as she mourns her lost loved one ...


The elaborate family plot is enclosed within a stone wall and is floored with what appears to be ceramic or marble tiles.

I don't have any idea of the cost of monuments like these back when they were created, but I'm sure it would cost a small fortune to recreate them today.

Here are a few photos of the Soldiers Rest section of Cedar Hill. I hope to go back someday and walk through this section. The panoramic view of those 5,000 stones is just breathtaking.




I hope you enjoyed my tour of Cedar Hill and these awe-inspiring old monuments.































6 comments:

Unknown said...

i really enjoyed part 2 of your cemetary tour. The little piano marker is very touching.
Also, I love the picture in your header..looks so summery!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Janie, What unbelievable beauty in the midst of such sorrow! These monuments are beautiful beyond words! My husband and I like to browse old cemetaries and read the epitaphs.. strange past-time I'm sure, but the words, along with the monuments are amazing. We never seen any quite this magnificent! Great post...1 & 2!

~Rhonda :)

Anonymous said...

Janie, I'm new to your blog but have enjoyed it ever so much. And then to my delight, you posted the most wonderful pictures from Cedar Hill Cemetery. I sell monuments for a living. As I tell my friends and family, "someone has to do it". I love my job, it's so rewarding to help people pay tribute to their loved ones. My husband and I tour cemeteries around the country. I gain such inspiration and purpose for my profession. Thank you for taking me to a cemetery that I didn't know about. I must put it on my list to visit & you are absolutely right, very few people could afford these spectacular creations you have shared with us. Thank you. Patty Ann, pattyr74133@yahoo.com

Rue said...

I have been to quite a few cemeteries, but I have never seen anything like this. My grandpa (Papa) would have loved visiting this one and he may have. He would go to a cemetery everywhere he traveled. I don't think it's odd at all.

Thank you for sharing this with us.
rue

Anonymous said...

Also new to your blog and I really liked this post. My gr-gr grandfather was at Vicksburg during the war and was paroled from there. We have intended to go and now I shall add this cemetery to our list. Thanks!

Dee from Tennessee

Nance said...

My first time to your site. I love old cemeteries and stones too and really enjoyed your photos and commentary. We do NOT have stones like this in Iowa -- at least rural Iowa.

It was a bit of an emotional journey through the graveyard, especially through "In the Arms of the Angels". Stunning monuments! Thank you for sharing.