Thursday, November 18, 2010

An Autumn Kaleidoscope

I travel the Natchez Trace whenever I can, especially when traveling from Vicksburg to Ridgeland, Mississippi, which I do at least once a week, if not more.

The Trace is always pretty and the speed limit is 50, so it's a nice, tranquil drive and you can take time to enjoy the scenery.

Yesterday, I had an appointment in Jackson, and decided to take my cameras with me to capture some pictures of the beautiful foliage along the Trace. The Chinese Tallow trees were ablaze with color as the morning sun filtered through their leaves of red and gold.

As I looked at the trees through my zoom lens, it was as if I was looking through a kaleidoscope (you can click on the pictures to enlarge them, if you'd like).

The colors were so vivid they all ran together, like pieces of stained glass hanging from the trees.

I have no words to describe the glorious colors of God's autumn palette, but perhaps you can get a glimpse of their magnificence reflected through my pictures.

I'm so glad I was able to get these pictures of the Tallow trees (also called "Popcorn trees") when they were at their peak. They'll soon lose all those glorious leaves, but then their branches will be "decorated" for the winter months with clusters of white, wax-coated seeds resembling popcorn. The branches are elegant when used in arrangements for Christmas and winter decorating projects.

[Internet photo]

I'll have to go back and get some pictures of the seed pods after the leaves fall. Hmmmm .... perhaps I can find a tree that "needs some trimming" and capture some branches, as well as some pictures.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots, Janie! I'd love to see a popcorn tree. Interesting.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I love the colors of Autumn, I sometimes think God's art work is at it's best in the fall, then the next season appears and he shows us more of his Glory.
Great shots. I love the popcorn tree.
Molly

Tonja said...

Amazing!

In our other house one of these trees came up in the back yard and I loved it! Especially when the white berries come! I used them in so many wys around Christmas. One day, he came in and said, "I cut that old scrub tree that came up in the backyard." UGH! I was furious! It never came back...nor did another one come up. But, just a few weeks ago, I found where one had come up in the forest behind the Creek House! It waas very spindly, so I got something to stake it. I heard the same words from him about keeping 'that scrub tree'. But, I really don't think he will cut this one down! I'm pretty sure I made myself clear on the subject!!!

Thanks for the well wishes...I am feeling better.

Jenni said...

they DO look like kaleidoscopes! beautiful....

nanny said...

Beautiful, beautiful!!!!
The sun shining thru the leaves is wonderful.... #6 is my favorite....

Sue said...

Janie, I am never disappointed with your photos, the Tallow trees are beautiful, but you have captured them perfectly, and to be able to have the popcorn balls as an extra treat is wonderful.

I was out walking today taking some photos of our Bradford Pear trees and they were so beautiful too. Autumn is in its splendor now and like you I am enjoying it's beauty.

As always such a joy to visit.
Hugs,
Sue

Deb said...

Janie...you always capture such beauty with your camera...