Thursday, November 4, 2010

One of God's Masterpieces


My post today is honoring one of my favorite landmarks in the Vicksburg National Military Park.

Although there are countless very impressive state memorials and monuments located in the park, my favorite landmark wasn't built by human hand. It is a glorious Gingko Tree that was created by God, over 300 years ago.

Last Fall, I attempted to capture its magnificence with my camera, but my pictures don't do it justice.

I wish you could see it for yourself ...
and stand under its massive limbs.

And look up into its canopy of golden leaves ...

And touch its rugged trunk ...

And walk among the headstones it shelters under that glorious canopy ...

Because only then could you begin to feel the history that's buried deep within its roots.

I wish it could talk. Can you imagine the stories it could tell!

No matter how many times I have visited this old tree to capture it with my camera, it always inspires me to think ...

To God be the Glory,
Great things He has done!

6 comments:

RachelD said...

AMEN.

Sue said...

Janie, your photos, indeed tell a beautiful story! thank you for sharing.Absolutely stunning.
Hugs,
Sue

Jenni said...

Breathtaking! I thought of this song, too:

"To God be the glory, To God be the Glory, To God, be the glory....

For the things He has done...."

am teaching that one to a piano student...
He truly has done Marvelous things!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Lovely beyond words, Janie!

I love ginko trees... my sister had a big one in her front yard in Charleston, and I always loved it so.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Increbible, Janie!

Unknown said...

You got many nice photos of the cemetery and tree. :0) I love the wonderful trunk and beautiful yellow leaves!!! WOuld love to sit there and draw it, if only I could draw.