Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rainy Days and Mondays

Yesterday was a cool, rainy Monday in Vicksburg — a good day to stay inside, right? Unfortunately, I had to run an errand and while I was out, I noticed how pretty the fall foliage looked in the misting rain.

After I finished my errand, I went home, picked up my cameras, and headed for one of my favorite places in Vicksburg — the Vicksburg National Military Park.

As soon as I entered the park, the dreary, rainy day turned into one filled with lagniappe, and I'm so glad I didn't stay at home. Here are just a few of the picturesque scenes I would have missed ...

You can click on the pictures to enlarge them, if you'd like to get a closer look.

Wisconsin State Memorial

Grave Markers near a Crape Myrtle tree
in the Vicksburg National Cemetery

A row of grave markers against the blazing color of a cedar tree in the background ...

I don't think I've ever visited the military park and not seen some kind of wildlife, and I wasn't disappointed yesterday. As I rounded a curve, I was delighted to see a dozen or so turkeys on a hill beside the road.

It seemed as if they had been waiting for me to come along with my camera to capture their antics, and they entertained me for several minutes.

You may need to click on the pictures to see them better. Their camouflage colors worked perfectly!

Leap frog, anyone?

I love this picture of a Mama Turkey and her Little One ...

"Ruffled Feathers"

There's a line from an old song called Rainy Days and Mondays, which says:

Hangin' around, nothing to do but frown,
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.*

I'm so glad I didn't stay inside and frown yesterday. Just think what I would have missed!

* Performed by The Carpenters
Written by Roger Nichols and Paul Williams

9 comments:

Deb said...

I'm so glad you decided to go out...great photos...you think those turkeys are a little nervous with Thanksgiving so close???...I love that Carpenters song...

LinWots said...

All pictures are good, but the first one is the best!!! Very beautiful.

Marlene said...

Simply beautiful! Your area of the country is definitely on my "have to go there" list, but if I don't I will have enjoyed every single trip with you. Thank you again for taking us along.

RachelD said...

Loving to walk in the rain, mist, up to an including a downpour, mostly without an umbrella.

What a day you (and we) would have missed.

Your turkeys have no idea of their luck in being WILD, especially next week! Through your lens, they take on the look of statues carved of shining stone.

Jenni said...

Those are some pretty smart Turkeys! Keeping a low profile in a Military Park... at least until after Thanksgiving! hehe.

I really love the top picture of the road. Hmmm... there's a poem in that picture somewhere...

Thanks for another tour that made me smile, dear L. Lens!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Beautiful shots. I love the turkeys wondering around. We have beautiful scenery here in MS just like they do in The Mountains, most just fail to see it.
But you and your camera do a great job of reminding us.
Molly

nanny said...

Love the pics.....esp the turkeys...those are great!

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Beautiful photos! I love all those gorgeous colors, so glad you went and shared the beauty with us too.

willowbird35 said...

Just gorgeous! On my way to work in the morning, I often wish I had a good camera and good photo skills. I pass over at least one bridge to work and when there is an early morning fog or it's drizzling rain, the view is just phenomenal. :) - Karen