Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Ride in the Country

The first day of November was everything a Fall day in Mississippi should be — brilliant blue skies, trees just beginning to show their Fall colors, and field after field of hundreds of bales of freshly cut hay ...

The only thing that could have made it better was if the temperatures had been in the lows 70s, instead of the low 80s.

I decided to take a short drive, and headed southeast on a country road not far from the city limits of Vicksburg.


This old church sits "on a hill far away." I love the old church bell — can you see it there on the left? You can click on the picture to enlarge it, if you'd like. I wish I could have gotten some closeups of it.

Bluffs on the Big Black River

I soon discovered that I wasn't the only one out enjoying the glorious day.

There wasn't much traffic at ten o'clock on a Monday morning, so I was able to stop and capture a few pictures of some cows that were close to the road.



Must you take pictures of me while I'm eating?


Oh, No. 26, what big ears you have!And didn't your mama teach you that it's
not nice to stick your tongue out at people?

Cows are always so much fun to photograph. The expressions on their faces are priceless and always make me wonder what they're thinking.

If you would like to see more of my cow pictures, you can click here: Cows, Cows, and More Cows!.

4 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Love these shots, Janie. You must be pretty stealthy to get these shots of cows. They are fairly shy when it comes to being apporached by humans, or at least my father's cows always were. Dairy cows, though, are a different matter as they are used to human touch.

XO,

Sheila :-)

RachelD said...

Beautiful, Janie, and so evocative of those slow turning-of-the-season days down there.

I wish you HAD got to make a closeup of the bell---I'd bet it's a close mate to ours---from the C.S.Bell company---our date in the metal is December, 1941.

Jenni said...

The pic of the church is just beautiful...

And I LOVE those cows! What is it about cows? They are just FUN! Each one seems to have personality or something...

Carolyn said...

Beautiful drive in the country. You just take the best cow pictures! They seem to pose just for you and they are quite photogenic aren't they? I love the hay also...the sky in the first picture is so pretty.
Carolyn