Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Backyard Sanctuary ...

We have a very narrow, but long, backyard area which is enclosed by a wooden fence.

We planted shrubbery and flowers along the fence right after we moved in two years ago, but it still lacked something.

This spring I bought several birdhouses, some functional and some decorative, and my husband attached them to the fence for me.

[Click on pictures to enlarge them]

I added a few garden accessories and statuary, and now I love looking out my office window at my little "birdhouse garden" ...


I saw these three tin birds at a local garden gift shop and there was no way I could leave them there. I had a perfect place for them ...

The morning glories in the background of the picture below are the ones Avery (my three-year-old granddaughter) and I planted back in the spring.

They're fading now, but here's a picture of them when they were at their prettiest ...

There's a story behind them, if you'd like to read it, in my post called Sharing Simple Pleasures with a Granddaughter.

This little statue is called "First Love," and I've moved it from house to house through the years, or I should say that my husband has moved it, because it weighs a ton ...

Although this pretty little girl statue is not in the backyard, I wanted to share her with you anyway. I've had her for a very long time and she's my favorite.

She sits on the edge of our pond in our courtyard and makes me happy every time I see her ...

This is a path leading from the front courtyard area to the backyard. I took this picture early one morning when the sun was just coming up and there was a mist over the pond and waterfall ...


For the story of how the path was made, please read my A Stone Path, Bridge, and Courtyard Waterfall post.

The last picture I'd like to share is the view I have from my office window of my lantanas. Butterflies love lantana and they're so pretty fluttering about ... I'm going to miss them this winter.

To every thing there is a season, and it's always kind of sad to see the flowers of summer fading into fall. But each season has its own special kind of beauty ...

The glory of fall foliage in the Blue Ridge Mountains ...

And snow drifts piled high in New England ...

Winter in Texas ...

And perhaps we'll even get snow in Mississippi this
year, like we did on New Year's Eve 2000 ...

I would love to visit all these places, but the next best thing is experiencing the beauty of the changing seasons through the words and pictures of my blogging friends ... and I look forward to it.

11 comments:

Lori said...

What a beautiful backyard! It looks like it would be a wonderful, peaceful place to relax.

Anonymous said...

YOU are one talented lady....wish i could borrow you for a day at my house and do some work outside and inside......LOVED strolling through your backyard and love your birdhouses and all of your hard and beautiful work you have done in your yard.....can't believe you saw snow in 2000, i live between nashville and memphis on I-40 and we hardly ever see snow....but i wish we did......take care and may God bless you today......jennie in tn <><

nikkicrumpet said...

You already know how much I adore your backyard. I think it's the prettiest yard on the planet! I love love love those tin birds...what a treasure they are! I can see why you couldn't pass them up. Thanks for sharing your beautiful landscape with us again...I could look at it every day and never get tired of it's beauty!

Unknown said...

Hi Janie,
Thanks for sharing your back yard photos with us. This post made me smile! LOL All of your photos are lovely!

I love the birdhouses and all of your garden accessories! I am going to plant some Lantana next year...we don't have any at this house, but I did at the our other one, and loved it.

And I'm going to have to try the Morning Glories! I've seen those on a couple of blogs, but have not tried them!

Have a great day,
Diane

Mary said...

What a beautiful garden! It is clear to see that it is lovingly cared for, and enjoyed! I love your collection of birdhouses, and the tin birds are perfect. Thanks for sharing. :)
xoxo,
Mary

One Shabby Old House said...

What a lovely yard you have. I absolutly love the water features as well as all the little pretties that you have tucked here and there.
Its a picture.
Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi Janie! You r right I was overdoing it! I am realizing I'm going to have to fight this age thing even harder than before!!lol Anyway, almost done! I absolutely adore your yard/gardens! I have a similar set up in my backyard and have been wanting to place birdhouses here and there; that is definitely a project on the list!! Your New England pic made me realize how much I DO NOT miss shovelling snow!lol But I am really missing a New England Fall, nothing like it. My husband and I were talking last night about a trip up North just to see it; it's been almost 7yrs since we experienced the color!lol Well my break is over. Take care dear, talk soon - Sincerely, Jeannette

Brenda Pruitt said...

Such beautiful photos! Have you certified your yard as a wildlife sanctuary? I did, and live in a corner garden home. I have a sign that shows my certification, and I am proud to do my part for nature. www.nwf.org
Brenda

StitchinByTheLake said...

So beautiful and serene. No wonder you like looking out your office window! blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

Hi again Janie! Thanks for your sweet comments on diningroom! I spent the day from 9-2 working outside in the yard! I'm telling my husband he is cooking tonight!lol When you get a second can you tell me when you edit your beautiful photos do you just load from the camera or do you use an editing program to adjust color and focus? I'm determined to get better quality pictures!I have 3 different edit programs so there should be no excuse! So I'm going to an expert for help!lol Thanks dear - Have a great weekend - Sincerely, Jeannette

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I *love* the birdhouse garden!! I totally want to try to climb morning glories up my fence next year (as wee tiny as our fence -- and yard! -- is). I'm hoping they'll take in containers.

I loved looking at this beautiful photos! :-)