Friday, October 24, 2008

A Trip to Mrs. McGregor's Garden ... Shreveport, Louisiana

During a recent trip to Shreveport, Louisiana, I discovered a charming little garden and home decor shop called "Mrs. McGregor's Garden." I loved the name and couldn't resist checking it out, and stuffed my camera in my purse just in case they would allow me to take pictures.

When I walked in the door, I knew they had me. Everywhere I looked I saw something I would have bought if I had a place for it ... and, of course, had the money to buy it.

I walked around for a few minutes, then stopped at the check out desk and asked if I could take some pictures for my blog. After I explained what a "blog" is, the nice ladies gave me permission, and I began clicking away with my camera.

This first picture is of the elegant display that greets you when you walk in the door (be sure and click on the pictures to enlarge them, so you don't miss anything) ...

Isn't that a gorgeous blue chair on the left, and
look at the beautiful large Santa in the top right corner.

To the right of the entrance I discovered this pretty display.
I especially like that mirror on the old mantel,
and this exquisite chandelier was hanging above it ...

A few steps away was this pretty arbor
decorated with baby's breath and vines.

It gives you a feeling of walking down a garden path strewn with all kinds of decorative treasures, and these unique "pod" candlesticks caught my eye ...

This beautiful porcelain tree reminded
me of Italian-made sculptures ...

And I love this distressed chest and the elegant lamp and the arrangement of greenery and berries ... and isn't that a pretty gilt mirror behind it!

My heart skipped a beat when I spotted this pair of distressed wooden doves. In fact, I hinted to my husband that I'd like them for my birthday which is coming up soon. I'd love to use them on my mantel or sideboard for Christmas ...

After admiring the doves for a while, but not liking the price tag on them, I continued my browsing and came upon this pretty "Fall, Halloween, and Thanksgiving" display. Be sure and notice the pretty little pilgrim figures ... Wouldn't they be perfect in a Thanksgiving centerpiece! And look at that twig basket hanging on the old blue door in the background ...



I never go into a shop that I don't find something that I'd like to get for our three-year-old granddaughter Avery ... and Mrs. McGregor's Garden was no exception. I loved this cuddly-looking green stuffed monkey and cute little long-legged bear. I resisted both of them, but I know where to find them if I change my mind ...


After "ooooohing and ahhhhhing" over the monkey and bear, I discovered these precious little squirrels (how I ever got out of there without one of these little fellows, I'll never know). Aren't they adorable! ...


I really like that amaryllis and cardinal picture behind the squirrel, too. And look at that faux long-needle pine tree ... it looks very real.

Here are a few more things that got my attention as I browsed ...

I love this lamp with the black leather shade.
Be sure and click on it to enlarge it ...

And look at these adorable little lambs on wagons ...

No garden shop would be complete without angels
or cherubs, especially for the holidays ...


I love orchids and can't believe I didn't
buy one of these beautiful little arrangements ...

I've been looking for a hand-carved wooden goose to go on top of
my china cabinet in my dining room, and was delighted to see these ...

The price was reasonable, but I was afraid it might
be too long for my cabinet, so I didn't get it.

And that brings us back to the entrance where I thanked the ladies for letting me take pictures of their beautiful shop. I had taken some of the outside, too, but accidentally deleted them with some other pictures I took of our Shreveport trip. If you would like to read more about Shreveport, please read my A Weekend Getaway Gone Awry post.

I hope you enjoyed visiting Mrs. McGregor's Garden as much as I did, and if you're ever in the Shreveport area, be sure and stop by ... they're located at 3240 Line Avenue.

Sincerely,



14 comments:

Salmagundi said...

That chandelier took my breath away. That is a beautiful shop!! Thanks for sharing it with us. Sally

Anonymous said...

Oh Janie what a great shop I LOVED it.

Thanks for taking the time to do all this posting, it was lovely.

If we ever plan a trip down that way I hope I can ask you for advice !!!

Have a wonderful week-end,
Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

This is the area im from and i have never heard of the place. My parents still live there.Looks like I need to look this place up. Thanks for the great tour.

Anonymous said...

Afternoon Janie! First I wanted to let you know (in case you don't get e-mail)that your beautiful gift arrived and I posted it today! Thank you again.

I am going nuts over those squirrels in this post! They are the most unique thing I've seen in a while!! You have so many beautiful shops to visit and I enjoy touring all of them! They should have given you a gift for all the business they will get from this post!! Glad you had fun. Enjoy your weekend. Sincerely, Jeannette

ksarra said...

Hi Janie, THANKS for the tour of this charming little shop. And since Shreveport is only about 4 hours from where I live, I can't wait to take a trip there. I've followed your blog for awhile, and love the road trips.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Janie, you could get lost in that shop! I don't know if my husband could have dragged me out of there. Wow! Lots and lots of goodies.

Thank you for taking all of us along,

Hugs,

Sheila

nikkicrumpet said...

THat store should come with a WARNING LABEL!!! So many gorgeous things that I couldn't afford but would be dying to own!!! Thanks for tormenting us with the pictures lol.

Bo said...

Oh, this place was yummy...I love shops that are loaded full like this one, but I'm a nervous wreck my purse or my butt will bump something & make it fall...LOL
;-) Bo

bj said...

Oh, my...what a fantastic shop. I would love to get in there with a pocket full of money!
love, bj

Sue said...

This seems like my kind of shop, I especially liked the angel with the trumpet. Thanks for sharing,loved all of the pics.

Blessings,
Sue

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Janie, Lots of beautiful things here! Thanks for taking us along. Nancy

Unknown said...

Hi Janie,
I've enjoyed catching up with your blogging. This shop looks like my kind of place!

The pictures of Vicksburg were great too...I have been in Cedar Grove, but not the others!

I'm tired...but we had a wonderful time!
Diane

Lance Palmer said...

Hey Janie,

I am working on a spec ad for this shop for one of my salesman, and wondered if I could use for this purpose, if they decide they want to advertise we will most likely have photographs done but thought this would be nice for the initial ad but if they liked it enough we might could use it with your permission of course. I really liked reading your blog on this, actually would make a nice article if we have room for it but sorry about the visit to Jefferson, that place has tons of Bed and Breakfast places, havent been in a while. Sorry for contacting you on the blog comment list but couldn't find an email address.

Thanks
Lance Palmer

Southern Lady said...

Lance, please send me your e-mail address. Mine is jrfq45@aol.com.

Thanks!

Janie