Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Granddaughter's First Dance Class ...

It seems like just yesterday that our granddaughter Avery was a baby, and overnight she turned into a delightful little three-year-old about to embark on her first "dancing" class ...

I don't know who is more excited ... Avery, her mama, or her grandmama!

After a quick visit to "The Jazzy Dancer," to buy a leotard, tights, ballet slippers, and tap shoes, we arrived at the dance studio right on time.

If you have been blessed to spend some time with a three-year-old recently, you will understand what I mean when I say that you can never predict their reactions to things. Sometimes Avery is outgoing when introduced to new situations, and sometimes she's very shy and clinging. But last week her mama took her to watch a "tumbling" class, so she felt comfortable and went right in and joined the other little girls who were there.

A moment later I caught her in a pensive mood, like she was thinking ... Hmmmm, I'm not so sure about this ...

But then, a little at a time,
she joined the other little girls ...



Looks like she decided this might be fun after all ...

A few minutes later she was literally squealing with joy as she skipped and twirled and waved her scarf in the air.




The instructor is a lovely lady whose grace and poise is only excelled by her patience with her little "wanna-be ballerinas." The class is for three- and four-year-olds and they were all adorable.



Bottoms up!

I loved every minute of Avery's first class and was so happy that she enjoyed it. Three-year-olds are like little sponges ... they soak up every new experience and are delighted by such simple things. I'm so thankful that her granddaddy and I can share them with her.

They're going to be "tap" dancing this week, and I can't wait to go back!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

She is adorable!
Little girls + ballet = a perfect world. ha

nikkicrumpet said...

That is the cutest dang thing! I love their little dance outfits...and they look like untamed little angels!!! How much fun for everyone.

Julie @ Sweet Chaos said...

What a wonderful grandmom you are! Your baby is beautiful and such a blessing. You're right about those 3 year olds... one minute they're up, the next, who knows! I get such a thrill out of picking up my little one from preschool. She comes out skipping and singing every day. Beautiful. Can't wait to see the tap dance pics!

bj said...

oh, what a beautiful little girl...
and, yes, spending time with a 3 yr old is very unpredictable and don't 'cha love it!! I sure do.
It looks, towards the end, that she enjoyed it very much....
love, bj

Salmagundi said...

Who had more fun? Granddaughter or Grandmother?????

Enjoy them while you can. They don't stay 3 for long.

Sally

Anonymous said...

Morning Janie! How adorable! Avery looks older than 3; the pic when she turned and smiled just made me smile a great big smile! I remember these days from my daughter; although she was more into tumbling/gymnastics which she was actually a little too chubby for but she plugged on anyway! This age is just the best! Your camera is really going to get a workout with all the recitals coming your way! Enjoy - Sincerely, Jeannette

Anonymous said...

AWWW so cute, I remember when my little Jacqui did ballet, some of the cutest moments. Then she turned 5 and decided softball was her thing, but Mom still had her try cheerleading, which she did until the end of her Pop Warner years, we traveled to DisneyWorld 3 years in a row for Nationals. But softball, girls hockey & field hockey (she captained all 3 in high school) won out. She played Div 1 softball(captain again) in college. And currently she coaches high school softball and ice hockey. So you never know where these little spirits will end up. It is such a nice journey. Enjoy !!! We sure did !!!

All the best,
Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

She is such a doll. I love how you captured the moods and growing interest. This will be so much fun for her and for her grandparents, as well.

Unknown said...

Hi Janie,
These photos are priceless! She is a blessed little girl to have such a wonderful mother and grandmother willing to expose her to the arts at such a young age!

I really enjoyed the photos!
diane

Tracey said...

How fun! I loved watching her evolve through the pictures from not so sure to dancing and laughing with the others. She is the most precious little ballerina!
Tracey

Cottage Rose said...

Oh how sweet and pretty pink she is. Avery is so cute, so precious they all look. It is so great that you can go and watch. My daughter Heather took ballet, she loved it. My grand daughters don't take dance yet, but I keep hoping there mommies will take them.

Hugs;
Alaura

Karin said...

Just adorable! You know, this could almost be a children's book. It seems like my daughter has something similar. Just so sweet. I hope you save this to show her someday!

Susie Q said...

What a treat and how it made me smile. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Love,
Sue