Friday, July 10, 2009

A Sanctuary Outside Our Door

Our courtyard has become a sanctuary for birds, butterflies, hummingbirds, little chameleons, dragonflies, tree frogs, and no telling what else. Everytime I look out a window or walk out on the porch, birds scatter from feeders and I see the flutter of wings or hear the frogs making what I call their "little lamb" sounds. I kid you not ... they sound just like little lambs baaing! I'd love to capture one with my camera, but they always jump into the pond when I get close.

Early yesterday morning, I was looking out a window and noticed some bumblebees swarming around a magnolia blossom in the courtyard. I grabbed my camera and went out to investigate. My picture is not very good because the pond was between me and the bumblebees, but I wanted to share it anyway.

I'm not sure what was so great about that particular bloom, but the bees were frantically devouring the sweetness of its stamens.

And here is a little lagniappe I received while I watching the bees. It's a Little Gem Magnolia blossom at its peak ...

I hope you enjoy your weekend and can take time out to enjoy the sights and sounds of your yard. You'll probably be surprised at all the activity going on that you've never really noticed.

11 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

What beautiful pictures...I especially love a Magnolia tree and plan to put a Little Gem in soon...your blossoms are lovely! Thanks for visiting me today and the sweet words about POTD.
Sandi

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I love the Magnolia, it is a true image of the South, great pictures.
Molly

southerninspiration said...

I always enjoy your pictures....there are NO bad ones!! Love magnolias!!!

Suzanne

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Janie, I enjoyed this as I do all of your posts. And I love magnolias. Those bees must have been busy hitting it at it's ripest point for them! So neat that you were able to capture that. I love the sound of frogs. I used to have a tree frog who would visit me regularly in St. Augustine. He would stick himself to the window pane just outside our dining room where I would be on my lap top, and he would just watch. LOL!

Hoping you have a lovely weekend. I'm not sure if Barnes & Noble in Jackson has them, but I found cute cookies there (showcased on my blog) that are a whale and an octopus. I thought Avery might enjoy them if you could find them at B&N. They aren't bad tasting... kind of plain, but when you doctor them up with ice cream, they are GOOD. If you get one for her, be sure to get one for you, too! ;-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

Stacey said...

Look at how beautiful those blooms are! Great pictures. I know those bees are happy to be in your courtyard.

RachelD said...

You have a definite knack for capturing that perfect, pristine whiteness with the hint of a maidenly blush on the secret inner surfaces. No wonder magazines are asking to use your images!!

Tonja said...

We have discovered that along side of our driveway...there are about 5 or 6 magnolia trees. They were already there...we didn't plant them. God must have, because this ws an empty overgrown lot when we built. Anyway, they are just beautiful!

Beth at Aunties said...

Thanks for the reminder to take time to savor the beauty around us. Life gets so busy.
One of my favorites is watching our naughty Magpies. They are camera shy but always dashing by my windows.
We have cooing doves also nesting in our trees and delight their call...

Enjoy a beautiful weekend,
Beth~♥

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great photos. The blossoms are beautiful.
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Hi Janie! I love magnolias! My neighbor has a large tree but it never seems to bloom (or I just miss it???lol) I say every year I'm going to ask him for some leaves to dry and make a wreath (again never remember!lol) We have a frog in our pond too and he is quite annoying at night! Large bellowing sounds at all hours!!! No lamb here! lol I guess he is just enjoying the night and I've tuned him out lately!lol Hope my neighbor has too?lol Enjoy your weekend and week - Talk soon. Sincerely, Jeannette

Barbara said...

Janie, I have been absent lately and I missed coming to visit you, so here I am and I have something for you on my blog, please come and get it.

Purple Hugs,
Barbara