Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Finding Lagniappe


Yesterday was an icy-cold and dreary day in Vicksburg, but I decided to venture out with my cameras anyway, just to see if there were any pictures waiting to be taken. Although I didn't find anything really spectacular, a few things did catch my attention, and I managed to capture the following pictures from inside my warm car (thank goodness for my zoom lens!)

One of the first things I noticed was this colorful display of Lorapetalum and Forsythia gracing the end of a porch ...

I love the contrast between the magenta and bright yellow!

I've always liked this little cottage-style house, and was delighted to see it all decked out for Valentine's Day ...

I especially like the moss-covered heart ...

You can click on the picture below to get a closer look, if you'd like.

A couple of houses down the street, this little frog caught my attention, and the song, "Don't Sit Under the Eucalyptus Tree with Anyone Else but Me," came to mind ...

There were also several houses decorated for Mardi Gras ...

I love the balloon jester who cheerfully welcomes visitors to this house ...

And there was even a Mardi Gras umbrella closeby!

Here are a few of the other houses that were decked out with festive wreaths and decorations:

This is Walnut Hills, one of our favorite restaurants. If you are ever in the Vicksburg area, I highly recommend it -- especially the fried chicken!

For several weeks, we were blessed with unseasonably warm "spring-like" weather here in Mississippi, and all kinds of flowers and flowering trees bloomed prematurely. Last weekend temperatures plummeted into the mid-20s, and, unfortunately, wreaked havoc on a lot of those beautiful blooms, like the Japanese Magnolia tree in the following pictures.



The cold didn't damage the brilliant red berries on this hardy Nandina bush, though ...

Or these pretty "cabbage" plants in front of this colorful little green house ...

I love that little green house, and it is obvious that it is well loved by its owner, too, because there are always flowers to welcome visitors or passersby. Here is how it looked last summer ...

And that brings me to the last two pictures, which I captured of these two little fellows who braved the cold and wind to pose for me.

As I said at the beginning of this post, I didn't find anything really spectacular to photograph yesterday, but I had fun capturing the sights I shared here, and hope they inspire you to go out, even on a cold and cloudy day, just to "see what you can see." I promise there will be some interesting lagniappe out there ... just waiting for you to come along and discover it!

8 comments:

Glenda said...

Love the beautiful houses and blooms that you saw on your walk! Beauty doesn't have to be spectacular!!

Loui♥ said...

Thanks Janie!
I always enjoy strolling with you..
never a dull moment!
Always "something" to see!!
delightful from start to finish..
here my view is sunshine and melting snow..
warmest hugs..
Loui♥

RachelD said...

Oh, My!! A chilly, dreary day indeed!! What an infusion of color and bloom and cheery houses and lawns! I feel as if I've been in MS in February!

That green house with the turquoise trim is just charming---the inside must be a rainbow blast as well.

And pray, the next time you go, IF you can manage to pass on that glorious FRIED chicken---have someone at your table order this, for me:

Chicken Salad
Served with Olive Sandwiches and Tomato Aspic

Shades of Delta tearooms and little lady-lunch places of my youth. Is that Egg and Olive, by chance?

What a day.

nancygrayce said...

You take gorgeous pictures!

LindaG said...

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures. :)

Dorothy said...

I think what you found is pretty spectacular!!! I enjoyed all your pictures. We don't see much Mardi Gras decoration around here.

C M Designs said...

Hi Janie, I sure did enjoy the lagniappe that you captured. We sure don't see any decorations here in Va., like the ones you took pictures of.. They are very interesting and beautiful.
The same thing happened to my tulip magnolia here in Va. It would bud out and bloom and then a frost would turn the gorgeous blossoms brown.. It was beautiful while it lasted though.
I'm looking forward to seeing more Mississippi lagniappe.
Have a great week.. Smiles, Charlotte

Richard Cottrell said...

Looks like you found a plently to take. I love it all, especially the dogs. Richard from My Old Historic house.