Monday, March 16, 2009

BLUE Grow the Lilacs? -- Blue Monday

This is my first time to participate in "Blue Monday," and I would like to thank Sally at Smiling Sally for taking the time to be our hostess. Be sure and visit Sally and the other participants to see what they are sharing today.

One of my favorite blue things is our Chaste Tree (Vitex agnus-catus), which has the most gorgeous blue blooms during late spring and summer.

[You can click on the photos to enlarge
them and see the blooms up close, if you'd like]

Some of you might know the Chaste Tree as Texas Lilac, or Lilac Chaste Tree, because its blossoms are reminiscent of the common lilac.

It's a sprawling plant that can grow to be 10-20 feet tall and about as wide, but we keep ours cut back so it won't take over our waterfall area.

These pictures were taken last summer, and I can't wait for it to bloom again.

This was fun and I look forward to seeing what blue treasures everyone has in store for us today. In the meantime, I hope your Blue Monday is filled with sunshine!

22 comments:

SmilingSally said...

What beautiful photography. Thanks for sharing. Happy 1st Blue Monday.

Anonymous said...

This is very pretty and I can see why you like it so much. Welcome to Blue Monday. Sally does a good job with keeping this up for all of us.

Blogger said...

That is truly beautiful!

Knitty said...

Gorgeous! Happy Blue Monday.

Bo said...

Oh how pretty this plant is! I don't think I've ever seen this one before...;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

How beautiful. I love this plant.

xinex said...

How beautiful! Love your waterfall too....Christine

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

welcome to Blue Monday, the pictures are so beautiful.

Domestic Designer said...

Beautiful pictures! Have a wonderful day!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

gorgeous! I wonder if it would survive in Georgia!Happy Blue Monday ~

LADY JANE said...

Welcome to your first Blue Monday! Beautiful...can almost smell the sweet blue lilacs from here!

Stacy @ The Next-to-Nothing House said...

Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing...

Bernice the Housewife said...

How pretty! Happy Blue Monday!

Bryan said...

Welcome to Blue Monday! Well, I probably shouldn't be saying that since it's my first week too. These are beautiful photos!

Anonymous said...

Janie, your garden photo is so pretty. I did enlarge it and the detail is awesome. Be sure and share the same photo this summer.

Hugs...Jeanne

Beth at Aunties said...

It is a beautiful plant! I don't think I have ever seen it before. Your garden and water fall are so lovely.
Thanks for sharing,

Beth

Sue said...

Janie,
Beautiful pictures of your garden, I have heard of this plant but have never seen it, I must check it out at my nursery, beautiful!!
Blessings,
Sue

English Cottage in Georgia said...

The Chaste tree blooms are beautiful...I do not recall ever seeing one.
Your water landscape is lovely, hope to see more of your outdoor pics.

playsdolls said...

Love your water garden and your beautiful tree.Beautiful photo.

ellen b. said...

Hello Janie! First off your header is so beautiful. I love those blossoms. Your blue is calling to me, too! :0) Happy Blue to you.

nikkicrumpet said...

That is a beautiful plant. I'm sure something like that wouldn't survive our winters...it sure looks happy there by your pond!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Janie, this is truly beautiful. You know how to capture the beauty in your surroundings... a real gift!

XO,

Sheila :-)