Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Country Roads Photo Shoot ... "Outdoor Wednesday"

Welcome to Outdoor Wednesday ...

I'd like to thank our gracious hostess Susan at A Southern Daydreamer, for taking the time to host our "Outdoor Wednesdays." I always look forward to seeing what's going on in everyone's outdoors, especially now that Spring is on the way.

After several dreary and rainy days in a row, I was glad to see the sun shining today and decided to get out and take some pictures. I headed for a nearby country road (Hwy. 22, to those of you familiar with the Vicksburg area) ... and just stopped along the way when something caught my eye.

My first stop was at this old out building draped with wisteria vines (you can click on the pictures to enlarge them, if you'd like) ...

Don't you love wisteria!

As I got closer, I heard the sound of bees buzzing, and sure enough, the wisteria vines were covered by busy little bumblebees hard at work. I was able to get a few closeup shots, but was afraid to get too close. I took these with a telephoto lens, so I wasn't as close as it looks in the pictures ...

I've never really looked at a bumblebee up close, and was amazed when I was editing the pictures. Look at the way they hold on to the blossoms with their legs (be sure and enlarge these pictures to see these little fellows up close) ...

I love their wings. They remind me of the expression "on gossamer wings" ...

My next stop was at this old home place where pretty white irises were dancing in the breeze ...


I love old home sites and always wonder who planted the flowers that come up every spring, long after they're gone. That kind of makes me sad to think about, though ... doesn't it you?

This old cart has been sitting beside this driveway for as long as I've been traveling Hwy. 22, and I always look forward to seeing its pretty seasonal flowers. The pansies are looking rather tired, and I wonder what its owner will plant for spring. Petunias? Geraniums? ...

This is another one of my favorite sights on Hwy. 22 ...

I thought this plane was neat, and I love the old tractor you can see under the shed in the background ...

And that brings us to the little town of Flora, Mississippi. I've found that it doesn't matter how small a town is, you can always find something of interest to photograph. Here are a few things that caught my eye today ...

I have always wanted to get a picture of this sign and the little hen under it ... and today I did!

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you know I love to photograph cows, and a photo shoot in the country wouldn't be complete without a cow! Unfortunately, all the cows I saw were too far away to photograph, but I was delighted when I saw this guy standing in the shade under some trees close to the road ...

What a face, huh? I wanted to wash it for him ...

In case you're wondering, there was a barbed wire fence between him and me, flimsy-looking though it was. He didn't seem to be bothered by me and my camera, but he never took his eyes off me. As I inched closer and closer, all of a sudden he put his head down and I have to confess that that got my attention ...

I started backing up and turned around to gauge the distance to my car parked on the side of the road (just in case I had to make a run for it) ... but to my surprise (and relief!), he was only thinking about lying down, bless his heart!

After my "up close and personal" encounter with the bull, I decided that was all the excitement I could stand for one afternoon and headed home.

I hope you enjoyed my ride in the country as much as I did, and hope you have a wonderful "Outdoor Wednesday" ... however and wherever you spend it!

Sincerely,

20 comments:

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I just adore your pictures and the wisteria just is fabulous. Now the bull would have made me a little nervous but those are some great shots. Cindy

Anonymous said...

I just love the pictures. Since I was young old barns and home places have stopped me in my tracks.
Living in Hattiesburg they have torn down all of the beautiful sites to built in every pasture and corner around.I also love Wisteria and cattle grazing in the sun.
Thanks for a lovely post.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Janie, wonderful photographs. My favorite is the abandonned house with the irises. And yes, it is a bittersweet thing, but it also reminds me of the scripture about the lilies of the field and not even Solomon in all of his glory being arrayed as such. Loved this post... all of your wonderful photos.

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

kittrellphoto said...

Excellent, Janie, just excellent! I may have to head up that way on one of my rambling days! Marty

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

What a beautiful part of the country you live in! And, your photography skills are awesome! Loved all of the shots - made my day :-)

Chandy said...

Great pictures to share today! I love them all! Happy Wednesday!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I love, love, love all the photos. You have a beautiful blog!

Candy said...

Thanks for taking me down the country lane. Love old things. Drapes of purple clusters to more than the bumble bees.
Happy Sunny Day, Candy

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Janie! You took some amazing pictures! I love the old building...the wisteria and the bee...great closeups! Glad to hear thee was barbed wire between you and that face! Please don't do anything too dangerous to get a photo!! Thanks for sharing your photos.

Susan

Marja Rijnsburger said...

What great pictures you shared. I love the bees and the wisteria and also the irises. Thanks.

Beth at Aunties said...

Janie,

I enjoyed your lovely post and gorgeous photos. You are so talented at capturing great shots for all of us. That little Honey bee was facinating!
I loved the beautiful Wisteria. It is not something we see often here.
I too wonder about the people who have lived in the homes and planted the flowers with hopes of enjoying their beauty. They behind a gift for all to see. I enjoy spring and the rebirth of the earth's beauties.

Enjoy a blessed day,

Beth

Light and Voices said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday! I saw the sign Petrified Forest and just got off the floor from laughing. Those woody woodpeckers could scare a lot of trees for sure. I have a brush and an enamel bowl with soap and water...lets wash that cows face. Poor thing.
Joyce

Sue said...

Janie,
I so enjoyed all of the pictures, You are really enjoying that new lens, aren't you. I went and bought me one but can't seem to get the quality that you get!! I'll just have to let you take them and me enjoy!! lol. What a nice day you had, even though I live in the country I never tire of riding through it.Thanks
for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

flmom said...

These are really lovely photos - you are a talented photographer! I especially love the bee photos ... fascinating creatures.

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes you can find more to photograph in little towns. Your scenes are clear of traffic and the other distractions of suburbia. Wonderful, beautiful photos of peaceful scenes. Well, maybe not the bees....danger!

Kathy b

Tonja said...

I loved ALL the pics! Wisteria is just so beautiful to me! And the 'bumbly bees;, as one of my boys used to call them...amazing!
I loved the irises, too. Wonder how long they had been there?

Anonymous said...

I loved your beautiful photos! As a little girl growing up in Alabama, these reminded me of my childhood. Now I woula have been very afraid of that bull/cow! ;)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Charlene said...

Thanks for sharing all your photos of Hwy 22. This was great. Some of my favorites were the bees (just watched the movie Secret Lives of Bees last night - great movie) the Flag photo was #1 & I am so with you on the old house gardens that have old flowers iris, roses, wisteria... whatever that comes back every year. And, if you like cows come visit me to see the "city cows" I found Tuesday. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice country day trip. I adore seeing old homes and barns. They seem to tell a story. Saw a similar bull on a walk the other day. :) Glad I stopped by! You have inspired me.

Deb said...

your photos are great, I love the wisteria and the bee, the bull looked like he was enjoying his photo shoot