Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A "Bouquet" from the Vicksburg Rose Garden ...

I don't know of anyone who doesn't love roses. I visited the Vicksburg Rose Garden yesterday morning in the wake of approaching thunderstorms threatening our fair city. Under cloudy skies, with nearby church bells ringing the hour, martins swooping overhead, and the heavenly perfume of roses all around me ... I was "in my glory," capturing as many of the roses with my camera as I could before the storms moved in.

I was delighted to collect enough pictures to create a beautiful "photo bouquet" for a slideshow which I would like to share with you ...

{Turn your sound up if you'd like to hear the music}

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:

I would also like to share a few quotes about roses that I especially like. The first one is my favorite ...

"I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: 'No good in a bed, but fine up against a wall.'" -- Eleanor Roosevelt

"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds 'round my neck." -- Emma Goldman

A life with love will have some thorns, but a life without love will have no roses. -- Unknown

Do not watch the petals fall from the rose with sadness; know that, like life, things sometimes must fade before they can bloom again. -- Unknown

I hope your first day of April is filled with lots of roses and sunshine.

Sincerely,

10 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Beautiful, Janie! And that ER quote is a scream! :-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

bj said...

Like you and Sheila, ER's quote is my favorite!!

Susie Mitchell said...

Beautiful slideshow Janie! Love your choice of music, too. Thank you so much for sharing.
Blessings, Susie

Deb said...

Oh that was just beautiful! I love the roses that are fading also, I noticed the spider right before I read your comment, thank you for sharing!

Stacey said...

Beautiful! Love Eleanor's quote.

kittrellphoto said...

Excellent, Janie, excellent.

Brenda Eason said...

Beautiful. Do you subscribe to smile box? I have just found it a few weeks ago and started to play with it.

Beth at Aunties said...

I needed a good smile today and E.R's quote accomplished it! Your slide show was gorgeous.
From the spider to the fading roses, it all was beautiful.
I bet it did smell heavenly with the approaching storm mixed with the scent of the roses.

Enjoy your day and Thank You!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Janie,
I love the laugh I got at ER's quote!

Your photos are so pretty! You really captured the beauty of these flowers in the pics!

Diane

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Your pics are beautiful...sadly when drove through Vicksburg 2 days later under a heavy storm cloud with hail further to the east...a harrowing drive.