Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sweet Memories -- A Lesson in Planting Tomatoes

It's that time of year when gardeners begin to plant their summer vegetable gardens, and for the past several years, my parents have had gardens that produced a bounty of cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, okra, eggplant, and zucchini.

Our granddaughter Avery Grace loves tomatoes, and we thought it would be fun for her to experience the world of gardening "from the ground up," if you'll pardon the pun. We asked her if she would like to plant her own tomatoes, and with the enthusiasm only a "soon-to-be-four-year-old" can express, she squealed a resounding "Yes!"

The last weekend in March, my parents were visiting us and told Avery it was time to get her tomato plants. So off we went ... Avery, my parents, and I ... to Home Depot to pick out her tomato plants. We picked out four healthy looking little plants, and she couldn't wait to get back to our house to plant them.

My daddy is a young 84, and he very patiently and lovingly gave Avery her first lesson in how to plant tomatoes. Of course, I couldn't miss capturing the experience with my camera, more as a family keepsake than for my blog, but the pictures are so touching and sweet, I want to share it with you, too.

{ Turn the sound up on your computer if you would
like to hear the music accompanying the slideshow }

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:


13 comments:

Bo said...

This video is worth more than its weight in gold...Your granddaughter Avery Grace is so beautiful & her sweet little face showed she was intently listening & learning from her G-Grandfather.
I've read on others' blogs how they learned to love gardening from an early age because of their grandparents... ;-) Bo
P.S. "The Way We Were" was the perfect music for this too...

RachelD said...

Janie,

I do believe this is your best video yet---the pictures and the perfect music, and the three generations---magical.

There's something ancient and mystical about teaching a child the ways of the earth and cycles of seed and green and fruit, and teaching it to your child's child's child---that's a blessing given to few.

Lovely.

rachel

RachelD said...

Janie,

PS---I just had to share this moment, so I've linked it in today's post on

http://lawntea.blogspot.com/

rachel

Loretta said...

Oh Janie this brought tears to my eyes, especially the picture of both of their hands crumbling the soil. Then I laughed out loud at the picture of Avery pouring all the water from the watering pail! How precious is that????!!! The music you chose was perfect. What a wonderful memory of a special time together. Hugs, Loretta

Lisa said...

Priceless! Thanks for sharing!

Salmagundi said...

Great pictures! And she will cherish those images when she is older. Have a great Easter week. Sally

Beth at Aunties said...

I too loved the sweet three generation video and I know these little ones learn young to plant and the joy of the harvest. She is adorable and the precious looks on Avery's face was so priceless. Our oldest granddaughter Ali loved gardening with me. She is now 2600 miles away in VA. living in atown home and they can't garden because of codes.
I hope when her daddy graduates from Dental school in 2 years she will still be my helper.
I too love the pictures of your dads hands that have toiled and with the new tiny hands just learning about life.
Precious video and I am so glad you shared it!

Beth

Sue said...

Janie,
I guess I have your permission to cry, this is the most touching video I have seen in a long time.Avery Grace will always remember this and cherish it. I was especially touched when her great grandfather prayed over their tomato plants, Thank you for sharing. Wishing you and your family the most blessed ans happy Easter.
Sue

Unknown said...

Hi Janie,
This is one of my favorites! I made me tear up for sure.

It's beautiful!

Have you put one on a DVD yet?

Avery Grace is adorable!

:) Diane

Coloradolady said...

This was so precious. How wonderful you captured the moment on camera. What a treasure this will become down the road. I really enjoyed the video. Very touching.

YaYa's Funhouse said...

Janie, ....wait let me "blow" my nose and wipe my face!!!! The video is to be cherished forever. Incredible!!
I know everyone that views it will be brought to tears. It is so sweet.
Have a bless Easter.

Picket said...

Oh Janie....what a priceless treasure...that is the most touching video & seeing all 3 generations together...ohhhhh...what precious love and memories are being instilled in that beautiful little Avery Grace...Janie this was just fantastic!!!! Happy Easter to you & your sweet family girl.

Deb said...

precious memories for all, thank you for sharing with us