Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Blue Ridge, GA: A Perfect Family Vacation Getaway

It's that time of year when we start planning our annual family vacation, which will be August 30 through September 6th this year. We have spent the past three family vacations in Blue Ridge, Georgia, and enjoyed it so much that we're going back again this year. There will be 10 of us, ranging in age from 4 to 84, and we have reserved a mountain lodge located on the Toccoa River, near the quaint little mountain town of Blue Ridge ...

If you are within driving distance and planning a family vacation or reunion, you might want to consider the Blue Ridge, Georgia, area as your destination.

We love the mountains and the reason we enjoy Blue Ridge is because it offers something fun for everyone, regardless of interests or age. For the adventurous, there's whitewater rafting, hiking, horseback riding, trout fishing, and exploring waterfalls. You can also take a ride on the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway, explore the abundance of antique and gift shops in the area, or just sit on the cabin porch and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Toccoa River below.



While all of those things are fun to do, I think one reason our family vacations are so enjoyable is because of where we stay. A couple of years ago, my daughter and I were "googling" luxury mountain cabins in the Blue Ridge area, trying to find accommodations that would suit the needs of our family. We needed a cabin that would provide enough room for 11 people to comfortably sleep, eat, and relax without being crowded.

We soon realized that that was not going to be an easy task. Oh, we found lots of luxury cabins, but some didn't have enough bedrooms ... others didn't have enough bathrooms ... and still others had (horrors!) carpet and upholstered furniture, which we didn't want (I know, we're picky!). But we're also diligent ... and, finally, one day all our searching paid off. That was the day we discovered a website called Cabin Rentals of Georgia, and we were thrilled with the incredibly luxurious lodges described there.

We soon discovered that they are just as beautiful "in person" as they are in the photos featured on the website.

Custom-built, owned, and maintained by Mr. Gary Knight and his wife, Lissa, the lodges range from 3-5 bedrooms and are elegantly decorated with upscale furnishings and accessories. They feature large gourmet kitchens with top-of-the-line appliances, granite countertops and eating islands, game rooms (with pool tables, air hockey, or table tennis), luxurious bathrooms with granite countertops, hot tubs, fireplaces ... well, I could go on and on, but you can click here to visit Gary's website (Cabin Rentals of Georgia), and see these extraordinary vacation lodges for yourself.

The lodge we'll be staying at this year is called Fallen Timber Lodge. We stayed in it last year and it was so comfortable for our large group, that we reserved it again. I think you will understand why when you see these photos ...





I know this probably sounds like an advertisement for Gary's cabins, and perhaps, in a way, it is ... but it's because I know what we went through trying to find a perfect place for our family vacations. If I can help someone else discover the pleasures of Blue Ridge, Georgia, and Gary Knight's beautiful cabins and gracious hospitality, then, so be it.

Working with Gary is truly a pleasure and I know you won't be disappointed. He appreciates your business, and goes "the extra mile" to make your vacation experience a happy and memorable one.

We are all counting the days (only 138 to go!) until our vacation in August, and this probably won't be the last you hear about it before we go (aren't you excited?).

P.S. -- I sent a link to this post to Gary Knight, and this is the note I received from him in reply. It will give you an insight into the kind of person he is and the service you can expect if you stay in one of his cabins.

Oh Janie,

This is so incredibly nice of you! Please keep me posted on your visit. I am currently working on getting you better access to the river through some roads that are currently blocked ... I will also make my mule available for your needs to access the river easily! We will make this the best vacation of all! I am here to help you plan all of the things you want to do and see. We can check the calendars on the lake houses and the creek house for fishing as well. On the lake houses perhaps a day trip with a boat rental? Just let me know what you are thinking and I will help in every way!

Thank you again this is so very touching.

Regards, Gary

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morning Janie! Day off and thought I'd drop in to see what you're up too! I want to get on that beautiful train and take a ride!!lol Beautiful place I want to move in! Hope you had a nice Easter and the bunny was good to Avery! I bought myself some chocolates and am allowing myself one a day with afternoon coffee!lol Well I must make the most of my day so I better get off the computer! Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. Sincerely, Jeannette (BTW I'm laughing because I look forward to your new blog header/designs as much as the posts!lol) Very pretty, again.

SmilingSally said...

You are right! I've been to the area, and it was a lovely place to visit. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Unknown said...

Hi Janie,
This is such a beautiful area! I'm glad you and your family are planning to go back!

Hope you have a great day,
Diane

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness! No wonder you keep going back! Everything looks beautiful. The surroundings... the cabin. I know you and your family will have a ball!

Bernice the Housewife said...

Wow, I grew up in Blue Ridge, and it is always a shock to me to realize that it is now as popular as it is with visitors. Of course, I graduated high school over 30 years ago, so it has changed quite a bit! The mountains and the lake were always beautiful. My mother and my brother still live up there, and I go up to see them twice a month, but going home is different than going as a visitor. It is nice to see Blue Ridge on your blog!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Janie, this looks wonderful! I think this is so sweet of you to share this with us!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Doug T said...

Janie - Great blog! I'm catching up!