Saturday, August 21, 2010

Yesterday's Children

This is the third and final post featuring my photo "window shopping tour" of the historical shopping district of Vicksburg. If you would like to read the first two, you can click on the following links:

Window Shopping in Vicksburg
Window Shopping Part II

Today's stop is at the Yesterday's Children Antique Doll and Toy Museum ...

Although I have never been inside the museum, I have often stood at the windows and been taken back in time to a place when dolls were magical, but only in the imaginations of little girls. They didn't drink, or wet, or crawl, or sing ... they were soft and cuddly and just wanted to be held and loved.

I still have my first doll ... her name is Nancy.

For most of her life, Nancy could say "Mama," and "Papa," when you put her over your shoulder. I can still remember her sweet little voice, even though now the only sound she makes is a little "clicking" noise.

One day, I will give Nancy to my granddaughter Avery, but not yet. She's a little young to understand how a doll can still have a special place in her grandmother's heart, after all these years, and I want her to feel the same way about her when I give her to her for keeps.

As I looked at all those beautiful old dolls in the museum window, I wondered about all the little girls they belonged to, and how they came to be in a window at a doll museum. It's kind of sad when you really think about it, isn't it?

The museum is home to over 1,000 dolls, dating back to 1843, and displayed in an historic setting. I hope to visit the museum someday, but until then, I'd like to share the "dolls in the window."

My favorite doll in the window is this sweet "mama doll" holding her baby. For some reason, it made me teary-eyed just to look at them. The mama has such a sad expression on her beautiful face ...

One day, I'd like to visit the museum and find out the story behind the "Mama and Baby." If I do, I'll be sure and pass it on.


1 comment:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

great shots, I love Dolls and have alway planned on going there one day. The look on the mother's face is just beautiful, longing, or day dreaming about her man gone to War....Maybe, it is thought provoking...
Molly