Tuesday, March 8, 2011

God's Grace


In the past week, my family and I witnessed God's Grace at work in our lives, up close and personal.

If you are a regular visitor to Southern Lagniappe, you know that last Wednesday my husband underwent hip replacement surgery and came through it even better than we had hoped. He is recuperating and doing physical therapy at home now, and is getting stronger each day. I thank God for blessing him with exceptional doctors and nurses and physical therapists.

I thank Him for my parents and our family and friends ... and for you, my sweet blogging friends ... who sent up countless prayers for my husband during his surgery, and who continue to ask that he be blessed with a speedy and complete recovery. He answered all those prayers a hundredfold ... and for that I will be eternally grateful.

But, as if that wasn't enough going on last week, we also experienced another traumatic event. Early in the morning of Tuesday, March 1st, some of you may have seen this post here at Southern Lagniappe:

I've been waiting over a month to share some wonderful and exciting news, and now that I can — I find I have no words.

No words can describe the pure joy in my heart and the emotions that have been running rampant ever since I learned that we are going to have another grandchild. And yesterday we found out that ...

Our granddaughter Avery Grace is going to have a baby brother!

And just as he is nestled safe and warm and secure in his mommy's womb — so is he also nestled deeply in his Grandmama's heart.

Thank you, Lord, for this precious little miracle you've given us.

Yes, that's right — we're going to have a grandson!

I think I posted that announcement around 7:00 a.m. last Tuesday, and at 7:15, my daughter Whitney called and told me she was having some complications as a result of the amniocentesis procedure that was performed the day before, so I removed the post.

Whitney saw her doctor at his office later that morning, and I met her and my son-in-law there. An ultrasound confirmed that the baby's heartbeat was strong and he was moving around, so that was good news, but, as a precaution, her doctor put her on strict bed rest for a week.

This all happened the day before my husband's surgery, and I spent that day with Whitney at her house. Since I couldn't be with her the rest of the week, I called my sister-in-law Dorothy, who was coming from Louisiana the next day to be with me at the hospital, and asked her if she could stay and take care of Whitney and Avery (our son-in-law had to leave that Thursday to be out of town for four days). Talk about "when it rains, it pours!"

But God was working things out for us ... even though it was hard not being able to be with Whitney and Avery myself, I thanked God for blessing us with Dorothy and her capable and loving care, and the comfort and peace of mind it gave me to know she was there.

In the meantime, I was at the hospital with my husband and felt God's Grace there, too. He blessed my sweet husband with a remarkable surgical and healing experience, and loving siblings and good friends whose cards, phone calls, and e-mails cheered and inspired him.

The day after the surgery, our son Benjamin was traveling from Tennessee to be with us in Jackson, and was run off the interstate into the median by a lady who was distracted by her cell phone conversation. Thankfully, Benjamin was able to gain control of his car and get safely back on the interstate, which was truly a miracle in and of itself! Thank you, Lord, for watching over him for us.

He was also watching over Whitney and her baby. She went back to see her doctor yesterday, and an ultrasound revealed that the baby is active, has a strong heartbeat, and there is no doubt that he is a boy baby.

I don't usually share such personal stories here at Southern Lagniappe, but the past several days have been such a memorable time for me and my family — a time filled with blessing after blessing and so many answered prayers, both great and small ... that I just had to share these stories of God's Grace in our lives.

11 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I know you have truly been Blessed by the Lord, you had alot on you last week and the Lord wrapped his arms around you and you dear family. I thank God for his healing strength,
Congrats on the new Grandson, what a joy he will be. I thank God for protecting him and holding your daughter in his loving arms. I know you are so thankful for a loving SIL. And for your Son's safe trip to be with you.
Will continue to pray for everyone's speedy recoveries.
Molly

willowbird35 said...

So happy for you! What news! I was one of the few, I'm sure, who saw your initial post about a possible new grandson and then couldn't pull it up. I now understand what was going on!! My goodness!! You're right, when it rains, it pours! I'm so thrilled to hear all is well with your husband, your grandbaby, and that Benjamin is safe. God is Great!! Bless you and your family in this exciting time! - Karen

Anonymous said...

Janie I have tears reading this. What an amazing post!

Congratulations on the news of a grandson! Praying all goes well with baby and mommy. Prayers for your family continue.

RachelD said...

I have no words for the joy that you are feeling, and for the contagion of that wonderful emotion.

Congratulations is such a small word, and this needs dozens---hundreds---to encompass such news.

Your gratitude for such great blessings is one of the sweetest parts, my friend, and I rejoice and give thanks with you.

rachel

Dot Moore said...

God is so good to us in so many ways. So glad that everything is working out sucessfully for your sweet family.

Beth at Aunties said...

Janie,
I too have tears in my eyes and feel gratitude in my own heart for the choice blessings the Lord has blessed your wonderful family with.

When life is pouring problems on us it seems it is only afterwards we can see the hand of the Lord in our lives. He is so amazing and He is so aware of each of us and what we are going through.
What JOY! A baby brother for your beautiful Avery Grace! It just gave me goosebumps to think another very lucky little one will grace all of your lives. The Lord is soo good.
I hope your sweetheart coninues to regain his health back and adapts quickly to being part bionic:)

Sending hugs of JOY to my Mississippi friend~♥

Beth at Aunties said...

I would be so remiss if I didn't also say how grateful I am the Lord watches over and blesses our children to keep them safe.
Sometimes I think the Lord actually takes over our steering wheels to protect us from harm. Wonderful little daily miracles, sometimes we aren't even aware of. I am so glad Benjamin was kept safe.
How very blessed you are.

Jenni said...

I am rejoicing with y'all in God's Goodness!
Thanks for sharing these inspiring moments.

God is so good!

Hugs, Jenni

Anonymous said...

Hi again, Janie -- As I mentioned earlier, I read this right after you posted it this morning, but hadn't had my coffee -- and wasn't 'mentally alert' enough to write a comment(!)

I join everyone else in expressing gratitude for the way God poured out His love and grace on you and your family. He will bless you even more for giving Him the glory!

I'm glad you didn't have to be away from your blog too long; it's good to have you back! I'll continue to pray for your husband's recuperation, for your new grandson, and for all of your family.

Thank you for your long-distance, online friendship!! =)

Carolyn said...

Janie, My heart is full as I read your words. God is indeed good and I am grateful for His blessings on you and your entire family.

You continue to be in my prayers and now I can offer a prayer of thanks for a wee tiny grandson!
Carolyn

Deb said...

congratulations on the new grandson...oh you will have so much fun with him....so happy all went well with your husband...and your son was okay...definately alot of blessings for your family...