Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Glory of a Peach Tree in Spring


I was in Jackson last week running some errands, and did a double take as I drove by this glorious sight at Highland Village, an upscale shopping complex.

At first I thought it was a Crabapple Tree, but after googling images of "red flowering trees," I discovered that it is called a Late Double Red Flowering Peach Tree [Prunus persica 'Late Red'] — a long name for such a beautiful tree.

I was amazed to see some branches with white flowers mixed in and amongst the bright red blossoms ...

And there were several double blossoms with variegated petals of red and white! I discovered through Google, that there is also a "Peppermint Flowering Peach Tree," and I think that's what the variegated blossoms were.

They just took my breath away, and I was so glad I had my zoom lens with me so I could get some closeup shots (you can click on the pictures to enlarge them, if you'd like to get a closer look).

I especially like this one with the sun filtering through the petals ...

Aren't they exquisite!

The Double Red Flowering Peach can grow to a height and spread of 20 feet, and can be grown in the following states:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas
Colorado, Connecticut
Delaware, Florida, Georgia
Idaho, Illinois, Indiana
Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana
Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan
Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada
New Jersey, New Mexico, New York
North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon
Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina,
Tennessee, Texas,,Utah, Virginia
Washington, West Virginia, District of Columbia

Wouldn't you love to have one of these beauties in your yard! What a glorious way to herald Spring's arrival!

4 comments:

RachelD said...

Stunningly beautiful, and so many colors! It's as if whole bouquets of different blossoms are available on this one tree.

And those satiny, spare limbs---I remember those.

This was INDEED a bit of Lagniappe for your travels, and for us.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I love this one, I have 2 Peach trees, but neither have this beautiful of blooms, the verigated blooms are the best.
It's amazing what you can find if you just look. So many people would have just drove right past without looking.
Molly

Deb said...

gorgeous....would love to have one...

Anonymous said...

Spectacular! Especially enjoy your close-up shots. ;0)