Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sunshine on a Cloudy Day

For those of you who are still experiencing winter's wrath and pining for Spring, I thought I would share some pictures I captured yesterday of our Carolina Jasmine plant that is in full bloom.

I planted it on a small iron trellis a couple of years ago, which was poor planning on my part.

The poor little trellis disappeared long ago, and the Jasmine has totally wrapped up the hollies surrounding it.

Even though my plant reminds me of that old horror movie The Blob, in which some oozy gooey stuff covered everything in sight, I still love its bright yellow blooms in the Spring. It's like a burst of sunshine outside our bedroom windows, especially on these dreary, rainy days we've been having.

I love the way the sun was filtering through the petals of these blossoms (you can click on the pictures if you'd like to get a closer look).

There's a old saying about "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." I think that's true of Carolina Jasmine, too. Just look at my neighbor's plant cascading gracefully over her fence. It's so much prettier than my "blob."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Janie. I wonder if it would grow in our zone. I love it!

RachelD said...

Ohhhh---I can smell that sunshine from here. Will be back to absorb more when I finish all this bed-changing and laundry.

I, too, have a little leaning holly, which has been bent and hopefully peeking out from beneath the Luck Bush for about three years now. I keep meaning to transplant it, and MUST get to it as soon as the warm comes.

Thank you for the BRIGHT!!

Sue said...

Beautiful Janie, they are blooming here in N.C. now too. We have a lot that grow wild, and I enjoy seeing it while driving.
Thanks for sharing.
Sue

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Well don't complain I have 4 of them and not the first one is blooming yet. So I will enjoy looking at your pictures. They are so bright and clear.
Molly

Deb said...

beautiful...love the pretty blooms..trying to get caught up on visiting...I'm so far behind...

Merisi said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful harbinger of spring with us! I have seen Jasmine blooming here, some time ago already, in southern exposure, but I do not know which particular one it is.

To a wonderful spring,
Merisi