Friday, March 11, 2011

Sweet Sweet Olive

I wish my camera could capture the scent of our Sweet Olives, along with the pictures. The fragrance has been likened to that of apricots, but the only word I can think of to describe it, is heavenly.


The tips of their branches are sprouting pretty red leaves now, and the delicate little clusters of white flowers are just beginning to open.


It always amazes me how such tiny blossoms can produce such an intoxicating fragrance.


Sweet Olive (Osmanthus fragrans) is an evergreen shrub, and can grow up to 20 feet high and 20 feet wide. We have several planted around our house and garage, and it's always nice to be welcomed home by their sweet perfume.


Sweet Olives are one of my favorite shrubs, and the fact that they bloom from Spring through Fall is pure lagniappe.



3 comments:

Deb said...

I can almost smell them from your description...

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Oh, I can smell them. I have several bushes around our yard, but mine are the orange blooms and they haven't started blooming yet. We have one that is over 12 ft high and huge around when it hits full bloom you feel like you have died and gone to Heaven when You walk out side...
Love shots as always.

Jenni said...

I never knew what those bushes were called! So, I learned something new today (again) as I visited and enjoyed your lovely blog.....

Thanks!

Hugs, Jenni